Call for Films
The European Association for Japanese Studies invites ethnographic film submissions to be screened during its 16th Conference, which will be held in Ghent, Belgium, from the 26st to the 29th of August 2020.
This is an experimental new Section, themed "Remembering and Imagining Contemporary Japan through Ethnographic Films”. Such an open theme aims to draw attention to new objects, new ways of thinking, and new and hybrid forms of audio-visual representation. We encourage submissions that challenge “conventional” narratives and cinematographies, calling also for new forms of authorship or production.
Selected films will be screened at Film Plateau Cinema, a venue kindly offered by Ghent University for this specific purpose.
- 10 January 2020 to 10 March 2020: Call for films
- 10 April 2020: announcement of film selection
- 10 May 2020 to 10 July 2020: period for sending digital screening copies
Criteria for submission
- Adherence to the theme as outlined above
- Films that are not in English must be subtitled in English
- All lengths accepted
How to submit proposals
To submit a film, please fill in the form available at: https://forms.gle/GE3oe16Y3jxZAtqm8
The form includes a field for a link to a shareable online preview version (on Vimeo or YouTube). The link may be unlisted or password protected. In the latter case, please provide the password via email to Andrea De Antoni deantoni(at)fc.ritsumei.ac.jp and Andreas Niehaus Andreas.Niehaus(at)UGent.be
Any query related with film submissions please write to
Andrea De Antoni deantoni(at)fc.ritsumei.ac.jp and Andreas Niehaus Andreas.Niehaus(at)UGent.be
Second phase – only for selected films (March-01 June 2020)
File upload (via Dropbox, WeSendit, WeTransfer, MyAirBridge or equivalent) of version in digital format suitable for public screening in high resolution.
Along with the screening copy file, the authors and/or producers of the selected films should also send:
- 2 still film frames;
- Technical data;
- Trailer of the film for the conference website;
- Joint statement with:
- Authorization for the screening of the film at EAJS2020;
- Authorization for the use of promotional images for EAJS2020;